Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Yosemite 7, 10th Anniversary

We're heading for Yosemite today. It's our third time with this core group (Dan, John & me), but we're calling it the tenth anniversary trip - the first trip was in May of 1996, which makes this the 10th year. We missed 2 through 8 for various reasons... Dan was going to Africa soon... Dan was just back from Africa... Dan was heading off to, or in, law school. Then we got to last year. I guess that makes it clear who instigates these trips and keeps them on track! Thanks, Dan!

This time, Frank isn't coming. Can't remember why, but we'll still be seven people because Chris' friend Jim is coming. Jim joined up on our Yahoo group a few weeks ago with a great email that had me laughing and thinking "oh, yeah... he'll fit in just fine."

It was a busy morning. I kept Rachel home from school so we could spend some time together before I left. She helped me pack for a while but then started reading. After I had my stuff packed, we went to do some errands - bank deposit & 2 stores. She had a grand time, although as usual, she insisted on removing her jacket in the truck and each store even though it was raining and wastes time. So I made her put it back on herself. Didn't keep her from taking it off every time, but maybe it will eventually. When we got home, I had to prep some food, and she just started entertaining herself... for 2 hours! It was great.

I checked last year's calendar. I was wrigin my weight & exercise times on it. This time last year, I was almost exactly the same weight - 248 then, 249 now - but bigger. I knew that I kept losing size even after I stopped losing weight at 234. I've gained some of the weight back, but not much of the size, as evidenced particularly by the fact that the travel pants I have (zip off lower legs, very comfy) are much looser than they were last year.

Rachel was great when we were leaving. Didn't complain, but came and gave me a big, long hug (she gives great hugs) and lots of kissed. I told her I needed 1 per night & then one more per night, and then a couple extra. She was only too happy to oblige, which was really nice. As we were walking down to the truck, I suggested that they could move the tent into the house and she could sleep in it. No idea whether they actually will do so.

John & I finally headed out at about 2. Unfortunately, we had to stop at Andronico's for potato hash and more ice, and 7-11 for a phone card & lottery tickets for the group. We stopped at In-n-Out for lunch at about 3 in Pleasanton and made it to the Bug at about 6:45. Pretty good time, and almost an hour ahead of the So Cal contingent, despite they're leaving around 1 and John's supposed slow driving. At some point, Daniel called wanting judgement on whether 'sheesh' is a word, which I decided it probably is for GHOST purposes. Laserium is more questionable, I think, especially spelled Lazerium, as Dan was trying for.

FNG Jim showed up about 15 minutes after they did. We had literally just been talking about what kind of car he drives - a Land Rover Discovery - when I saw one coming up the hill. The print-out Dan had brought with him listed it as a "Disco Series 1", which lead to many jokes about mirror balls.

One of the things John and I started on the way down was a Yosemite 7 playlist, of songs related to camping, etc. We came up with the idea of including a theme song for each person. I picked "I can't drive 55" for John, given, again, his supposed slow driving. Our thoghts for Dan centered on his legal career plan and his tendency to far a lot. We'll need to figure out Jim a bit more. At this point we haven't decided whether to have the rest of the group in on it or just to send the list to them after the fact. I do think it would make a good discussion topic, and on-going fun.

We're in the same set of tent cabins as last year, though John & I switched to the other. We spent about four hours on drinks, dinner, and the Samurai Swords board game in the Bug's restaurant. Dave brought it and spent about 2 hours trying to explain the rules. The game is fun. I wasn't into it at first, so I didn't play, but I was helping Jim for a while, and kinda took over Daniel's pieces when he went to bed. Of course, he quit because he'd just gotten badly smacked and there wasn't much point.

Dinner was just OK. I had some kind of spanish meat stew with lots of veggies and a simple salad. And apple pie that I shouldn't have bothered with. I didn't get to call Rachel and Dawn... thought about it at 8, but then it was 9 before I realized it. Rachel and I talked several times today about the fact that I might not be able to call every day. I did get through to Elis at about 5:30, and she was going to tell them I called.

It's midnight, and John & Jim are already asleep. In the morning the plan is to have breakfast here & head out. We'll stop in Oakhurst for things we need to pickup along the way. Bug juice. Batteries? I don't need any, but maybe someone will. We may try taking the trail lunches the bug offers, but we'll see. Chris is coming in with the MREs, which are the lunch meals for the week, but probably not until around four @ Wawona.

Good night.

No comments: