Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Geographically Challenged

I have known for a long time, thanks to my mother, how the Federal Interstate Highways are numbers. The major cross-country routes running East-West are numbered 10 to 90, counting by 10, with their numbers increasing South to North, so 10 runs from L.A. to FLA and 80 from S.F. to N.Y. Meanwhile, the major North-South routes are numbered from 5 to 95, also counting by 10, with numbers increasing from West to East, so 5 runs from through California, Oregon and Washington, while 95 runs up the East coast.

This may seem like a non-sequitur, but stick with me.

My wife's cousin's family, including her uncle, are getting ready to move from Grand Junction, CO to Oklahoma City, OK. It sounds like a great opportunity and it is wonderful that Uncle John is going to be living with Jill, Schuyler and their 3 great children. I only wish they were moving toward us instead of further away.

One of the comments I made to Jill was that I don't think I've ever been to OKC. By now, I'm sure I haven't, but at the time I mentioned that if I-80 went through it, then I've been through as my family and I drove across the country on 80 when I was a kid, more than once. Now, if I had remembered, or though about, the fact that Oklahoma is immediately to the North of a chunk of Texas, I could easily have figured out that it's not 80 that goes through OKC, but I-40.

Perhaps I better relearn some of my basics before Rachel gets to them in school!

No comments: